Questions for the Movie: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II
I couldn’t fit film’s proper title into the title of my post, but this is about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991), or as we fans call it, TMNTII:TSOTO. As with the film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971), I decided to post a list of questions the average person would have about this odd movie:
- There are 93 “yeah”s in this movie, more than one per minute. Is that a record? By the way, I didn’t count them; the script is online. Ctrl+F.
- Keno seems cool most of the time, but did they really need to have him harass women on the street in the first two minutes of the film? It’s not exactly a way to establish character.
- Donatello uses non sequitur words like “eclectic”, “a capella”, and “perestroika” as jokes (I find them funny), but most adults don’t even know what these mean, much less kids. Is this some kind of weird SAT training film?
- Using nunchukus, Donatello does a cowboy impression and says “Rawhide! Robocop!” Uhm, Robocop (1987)?
- Isn’t a Statue of Liberty play where you fake throwing the ball? Not a big deal, but it’s strange that somebody knew about the play, but didn’t know what it entailed.
- Everything David Warner does and says is hilarious to me, like “I wish to reregister my formal protest” to Shredder. If you disagree you are wrong. Why isn’t this man in every movie?
- The leader of the Foot Clan has a funny effeminate voice. Freddy, the Foot Clan spy hired by Shredder, can immediately recognize dandelions by smell. The “deadliest” animals they could find were a wolf and a snapping turtle, both babies. Shredder wears a purple cape. Is this a misguided metaphor for the underground gay scene in New York?
- Did the final scene with Super Shredder (played by Kevin Nash/Diesel/Vinnie Vegas/Oz) burn 90% of the budget? It’s actually pretty impressive.
Before you ask about the whole Vanilla Ice thing, let me say that it doesn’t bother or confuse me at all. It makes sense in this context.